About TC Paddlesports
Twin Cities Paddlesports is a sports club for Olympic style canoe/kayaking. We offer sprint kayaking and canoeing starting at 10 years of age. We practice on Lake Phalen in St. Paul and compete at various regattas in the US and Canada.
What is flatwater sprint kayaking/canoing?
In kayak/canoe sprint events, athletes race on a straight course, each boat in a separate lane, over three different distances: 200m, 500m, 1000m.
There are kayak events in single (K1), double (K2) and four (K4) boats, and canoe events in single (C1), double (C2) and four (C4) boats.
In a Kayak, the paddler is seated and uses a two-blade paddle, while in a canoe, the paddler is kneeling on one knee, and uses a single-blade paddle.
Sprint Kayak Video
Watch this video from our friends in San Diego to get an idea for flatwater sprint kayaking :)
Our Current Programs
- Lightning Racing League (2/3 x per week)Ideal age: 10-12 yearsThe Lightning Racing League is designed who would like to try paddling, possibly for the first time. During a six week program, kids will learn the basics. We teach: Getting in and out of racing boats, balancing, steering and paddling strokes. At this stage, the emphasis is on learning, fitness, and having FUN!
- Thunder Kayak Program (2/3 x per week) Ideal age: 12-15 years Introduction to sprint kayaking. Basic paddling skills. Ideal age: 12-15 years
- Intermediate Program (3-4 x per week) Ideal age: 12-16 years Building skills and endurance. Learn to race.
- AM Performance Program (5 x per week) Ideal age: 14-18 years Technique. Advanced Race Tactic. Learning to compete.
- PM Performance Program (2 x per week) Ideal age: 14-18 yearsAdvanced Endurance + Drills. Learn to perform
We meet at the north end of Lake Phalen and start our practice at the boat launch.
Partner and Sponsors